441 Second Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Single family home
Location, Location, LOCATION
The entire neighborhood of Old West Side is on the National Historic Register. This is the United States federal government’s official list of districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects deemed worthy of preservation.
The Old West Side is Ann Arbor’s most desirable location. Close to downtown, but still quiet with a real sense of neighborhood containing a diverse population of people of all ages.
This building is only three short blocks west of Main Street, downtown Ann Arbor.
- 12 minute walk to the diag, the center of The University of Michigan central campus.
- 7 minutes walk to Bill’s Beer Garden.
- 10 minutes walk to Kerrytown and the farmer’s market.
- 7 minutes walk to Blake Transit Station
- 4 minutes walk to Washtenaw Dairy and The Blank Slate ice cream stores.
- 7 minutes walk to The Fleetwood Diner, Ann Arbor’s premier 24 hour restaurant.
- 15 minute walk to Michigan Stadium: Let’s Go Blue!
- 1.5 minutes walk to Argus Market, a grocery store/cafe offering local farm raised products.
- 5 minute walk to Wurster Park, a large beautiful city park in which to relax.
Located between West William and West Jefferson Streets, in the heart of the charming and desirable Ann Arbor’s historic Old West Side, you cannot beat it. Frankly, this is the best neighborhood in Ann Arbor. It is quiet, temperate and residential, yet proximate to all the commercial, social and educational attractions that make Ann Arbor the best place to live in the USA. (Niche.com, April 17, 2017) This single family home is on a quiet, residential street.
Second Street is lined with venerable trees, cooling in the summer and providing a breathtaking color tour in the fall.
Containing a central elementary school, the Old West Side is a mix of families of all ages, apartments, single family homes and long term residents.
This is a very high quality, antique single family home in an unbeatable location: Ann Arbor’s Old West Side! Quality, charm, comfort and energy efficiency make this home a one-of-a-kind lucky find. Residents tend to stay for several years because they are very happy here.
Built in circa 1900, I purchased this house in 1976, my first house. Using my degree in Architecture and Design (University of Michigan, 1971), all repairs, improvements and maintenance have been completed with quality, authenticity to the historic nature of the Victorian era details, comfort, economy and longevity, as primary incentives.
No detail was left undone. Attention to quality has been shown in every way, from the yard, landscaping and brick patio (real clay brick…not concrete simulated brick), to the darling wood-burning stove in the kitchen.
You have a unique, singular and rare opportunity to live in this true family home, lovingly restored and cared for by the long-term owner/manager. No expense was spared to creatively restore this home, perfect for neighborhood living.
An antique solid walnut wardrobe adorns the front foyer. Perfect as a coat closet. I purchased this wardrobe at a yard sale and had it professionally restored.
The home is unfurnished, in a professionally clean ready to move-in condition.
This home is not your average “rental.” It has never been subjected to the abuse by immature residents.
I personally lived in this house for twenty-two years. Both of my children began their lives here and attended the local elementary school, located only three blocks away. They both graduated from The Bach School, Pioneer High School and The University of Michigan.
Here are but a few of the advantages of living in this home. This house must be seen and felt to be appreciated.
- 1700 square feet.
- Covered front porch entry.
- 3 bedrooms on the second floor, 2 with walk in closets. All three bedrooms have natural wood floors, two with refinished original wide-board pine, one with clear red oak.
- One bathroom on second floor. Mud-set tile.
- Small office with covered exterior porch on second floor.
- Living room, dining room, mud-set tile bath, office, parlor, foyer on first floor.
- Hand crafted, modern kitchen on first floor.
- European wood-burning stove in kitchen.
- Stainless steel brand-name dishwasher.
- Stainless steel, Thermador brand range with gas cook top and electric self-cleaning, convection oven.
- Kitchen opens to AZEK deck, brick patio and private, fenced back yard. That patio was crafted to architectural specifications and remains flat as a tortilla since installation in 1993.
- Golden, natural wood foyer with wrap around stairway.
- Professionally restored, antique walnut wardrobe functions as a coat closet. Beautiful!
- Lovely hardwood floors in some rooms and carpet in others.
- Historic refinished pine floor in two bedroom evokes a bygone era.
- Abundance of custom wallpaper and recent paint throughout.
- High efficiency central A/C and gas-fired, forced air furnace provide for low utility bills.
- Updated wiring and plumbing throughout. New electrical panel.
- Driveway with room for 3 cars.
- Quiet, safe and friendly neighborhood with very little traffic and no yappy dogs.
- Mature spruce trees privatize the landscaped back yard.
- Back yard enclosed by a custom six-foot privacy fence.
- Brand name, modern washer and gas dryer in basement.
- Ceiling fans with light in all bedrooms, living room and parlor. These fans are Casablanca brand named, reversable with remote control.
Smoke Free & Pet Free Environment
- House has been smoke free for over forty years.
- No animals and no smoking on the property, including on the front porch and in the yard. I like animals, don’t get me wrong. Had a cat since I was two years old. But, no to this. Everyone is happier.
- No yappy dogs disturbing your tranquility. I like dogs, yeah. But I do not like being kept awake at night listening to them bark. Or have the peace of my home corrupted by them.
- Driveway with room for three cars.
- Proprietary, residential street parking. There is residential parking, a unique arrangement in Ann Arbor. You are certain to have a space right in front on the street for a nominal annual user fee.
Rent is competitive. I have routinely heard the following statement, “This is the best house I have seen for the money.”
One year minimum lease beginning September 1. I am motivated to sign multiple year’s lease. Let’s talk. Discount available for multiple year’s lease.